To the one from whom much was despoiled and plundered, the gaze of God goes most directly, and the holiest help He gives. ~Marie Hosdil~



Sunday, May 2, 2010

Living The Mysteries


I just finished the most amazing book. It's called "Living The Mysteries" by Scott Hahn and Mike Aquilina. Actually, the meat of the book is written by several of the Early Church Fathers who write on the mysteries of the faith. It is the perfect book for this time of year for those who have just entered the faith. I wish I had been taken through this book as part of the RCIA program I was involved in. We all know how woefully lacking so many RCIA programs are. (Except for St. Thomas the Apostle, where RCIA is what it was meant to be.)

The Fathers take us through each of the Sacraments. Not just what they mean and how they are administered, but what their basis is and what they will accomplish in our lives if we are open to them. It's like a tour through the channels of grace that bring us new life from the author of life. I've never read anything that explains the Sacraments so well.

Since this year I am walking down memory lane and revisiting my year of investigation and instruction in the Catholic faith, this little book was a perfect guide to all the riches that have been poured out on my life and the historical evidence that the Sacraments have always been God's channels of grace since the upper room.

Reading this book was a bit like being John the Apostle, standing in heaven, seeing the Glory of God and His amazing grace flowing from heaven into the waters of baptism, through the Body and Blood of Christ in the Eucharist, and in the outpouring of the Holy Spirit in Confirmation. It was seeing all the grace of the Sacraments from the fountainhead of them all. My copy is colorful and written in and I'm sure I will be visiting it again.

No comments: